Juxtapid® is a pill you take once a day
Juxtapid comes in different strengths to treat high cholesterol due to HoFH (homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia). Your doctor can customize your dose and change it at any time, as needed.
Your doctor will likely start you on a low dose of 5 mg per day. Depending on your cholesterol goals, your liver test results, and how well you tolerate Juxtapid, your doctor may increase or decrease your dose over time.
How to take Juxtapid
- Do take by mouth, with a glass of water
- Do take on an empty stomach (at least 2 hours after dinner or evening snack)
- Do store Juxtapid at room temperature and keep in a tightly closed container
- Do maintain a low-fat eating plan to help reduce stomach problems
- Don’t take Juxtapid with food
- Don’t drink more than 1 alcoholic drink per day
- Don’t drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit
- Why? Grapefruit juice and alcohol can alter the way the liver responds to some medications, including Juxtapid.
Nutritional supplements are an important part of your treatment plan. It is recommended that you take nutritional supplements to replace the essential fatty acids and vitamin E that are not absorbed by your body while taking Juxtapid. It is recommended to take these supplements in the morning with food. Do not take them at night with Juxtapid, as they do contain a small amount of fat.
Adding Juxtapid to your HoFH treatment plan means you will have access to a dedicated Compass support team
Your Compass team will help you start Juxtapid and will be there for you throughout your treatment. When you start Juxtapid, each member of the Compass team will reach out to you, answer any questions you may have, and help make starting Juxtapid as easy as possible.